The Chugiak Dog Mushers Association was established in the 1950's to provide safe sled dog trails and host events for local dog mushing enthusiasts. In the early 1970's, Chugiak Dog Mushers organized the first "Spring Classic" (now the Eagle River Classic) starting from the Eagle River Inn and crossing the Glenn Highway to Fort Richardson. In 1976, the Spring Classic was moved to Beach Lake Park, where CDMA was developing a trail system.. With the support of Eagle River-Chugiak Parks and Recreation, local businesses, and dedicated club members, the Chugiak Dog Mushers Association has developed world class trails and events dedicated to the sport of dog mushing.
Significant milestones: 1972: Organized the first "Spring Classic" in Eagle River 1979: Established main staging area and race trails at Beach Lake Park 1990: Developed "Alternate side" trails connecting to existing network 1992: Certified by State of Alaska as Nonprofit Corporation 1994: Constructed outhouse 1996: Hosted Arctic Winter Games sled dog events 1997: Constructed enclosed Timing Tower 2002: Completed clubhouse 2003?: Installed culverts at road crossing 2016: Received 501(c)3 nonprofit status from IRS
Please click on the links below to learn more about the club's history!